SMILE (Sellwood-Moreland Improvement League) is one of 94 neighborhood associations recognized by the City of Portland. If you live, own property or run a business in the Sellwood-Moreland boundary, you’re already a member. There are many opportunities to get involved and help keep our neighborhood great. SMILE is involved in:
- land use, zoning and transportation issues
- environmental stewardship of our parks and natural areas
- sponsoring annual neighborhood events including Summer Concerts, Sundae in the Park, an Easter Egg Hunt, and Neighborhood Clean-up Day
- planning for emergencies, preserving our history, and more!
SMILE is unique among neighborhood associations because we operate two historic properties.
- SMILE Station on the corner of SE 13th and Tenino Streets
- Oaks Pioneer Church on the corner of SE 6th and Spokane Streets
Both properties are available for weddings, concerts, business meeting and special events at an affordable cost.
General membership meetings are held on the first Wednesday of the month at 7:30 p.m. Topics include current neighborhood issues, projects affecting our neighborhood and upcoming events. Guest speakers frequently attend. Meeting information HERE.
SMILE Board meetings are held on the third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. The focus is on planning and organizing SMILE’s administrative and policy concerns, including its finances, committee assignments, and official positions on important issues. Meeting information HERE.
NOTE: SMILE meetings are historically held in-person at the SMILE Station. However, due to Covid-19, meetings have been held via Zoom since April 2020. Zoom links to upcoming meetings are posted in the calendar. Board and General meeting minutes and Zoom video recordings are posted HERE.