SMILE (Sellwood-Moreland Improvement League) is one of 95 neighborhood associations recognized by the City of Portland. If you live, own property or run a business in the Sellwood-Moreland boundary, you’re already a member. There are many opportunities to get involved and help keep our neighborhood great. SMILE is involved in:
- land use, zoning and transportation issues
- environmental stewardship of our parks and natural areas
- sponsoring annual neighborhood events including Sundae in the Park, an Easter Egg Hunt, and Neighborhood Clean-up Day
- planning for emergencies, preserving our history, and more!
SMILE is unique among neighborhood associations because we operate two historic properties.
- SMILE Station on the corner of SE 13th and Tenino Streets.
- Oaks Pioneer Church on the corner of SE 6th and Spokane Streets.
Both properties are available for weddings, concerts, business meeting and special events at an affordable cost.
General membership meetings are held on the first Wednesday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at the SMILE Station. Topics include current neighborhood issues, projects affecting our neighborhood and upcoming events. Guest speakers frequently attend.
The SMILE Board meets on the third Wednesday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at the SMILE Station. The focus is on planning and organizing SMILE’s administrative and policy concerns, including its finances, committee assignments, and official positions on important issues.
Committees meet at various times throughout the month. Everyone is welcome to attend.